You may know satay as a tasty appetizer served in Thai cuisine made of small pieces of meat (often chicken, pork or beef) marinated and grilled like a skewer. It is often served with a slightly spicy peanut sauce.
This satay sauce is different from the others as it is made of whole peanuts. However, it is still very easy to prepare. Just mix all the ingredients in a blender or food processor, adjust the seasoning, and you're done!
- 1 cup fresh dry roasted peanuts (unsalted)
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1 to 2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fish sauce (or 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon tamarind paste (or 1/2 tablespoon lime juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or 1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce; more or less, to taste)
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
To make the satay sauce
- Gather ingredients.
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Blend or process until the sauce is smooth. If you prefer a more liquid peanut sauce, add a little more water or coconut milk. Taste and adjust as needed.
- Serve hot or at room temperature with chicken satay skewers, Thai pork satay or vegetarian/vegan Thai satay.